About Registering your Classic Vehicle

Normally when you purchase a vehicle, it should be accompanied by a registration document (V5C), showing that its details are recorded at D.V.L.A. in Swansea. You are obliged to notify Swansea if you change anything to do with the vehicle, ownership, colour, engine etc. Watch out for new rules for scrapping a vehicle, although hopefully this will not apply to Classic Vehicles.

Where a vehicle is imported from abroad and is to be used on British Roads, it will need to be registered.

Where a vehicle has been ‘discovered’ often without paperwork, it will be necessary to make contact with Swansea to obtain a registration number and it is important to ask for a registration number which relates to the age of the vehicle.

In both of the above cases you will find that there is a Local Vehicle Registration Office near you and it is worth a visit. You should be furnished with the appropriate set of forms, which you complete and hand in. It is likely that you will be required to present your vehicle for inspection at some stage and this is best done by trailering it to the requisite location. Driving it there may well be illegal and will not be popular in most cases.

Some people are better at dealing with paperwork than others and for those who become distressed by the sight of an official looking form, then worry not help is at hand. There is a man who appears to have made a lifetime study of matters D.V.L.A and can cope with the myriad of officialdom with consummate ease.His knowledge of elderly vehicles is legendary, so Our Man James recommends that you contact Michael Worthington-Williams at   worthycomments@btconnect.com .


8 thoughts on “About Registering your Classic Vehicle

  1. Hiya.
    In 2001 I bought some vehicles from a farm in Kent. The owner lost
    all the paperwork and his cottage too in a fire. I managed to get three of them registered as they had been registered / changed-hands after the mid-80s. But one, a series II landrover was not on the database at the dvla so could not retain it’s original number. I have a dating-letter saying it was manufactured in 1959, and the DVLA have told me they can give me an age-related number. But I would rather try to keep the original number even if it’s not transferable. It’s just a nice piece of history that way. I first tried the dvla, then the series II club with no joy when I bought the landy in 2001. And have recently tried again and sent a letter to surrey council’s archive depaertment asking if they have any old records from the late 50’s. But as yet no joy.
    I have been using the old girl on the farm. and keeping it tidy. I have also ordered a new chassis, suspension-parts and will have the original engine re-built. But it really deserves to keep it’s original number too.
    Any ideas? I’ve had the beast for 12 years now. and apart from a trip to the local dvla office it’s not done anything except go from field to field at the farm. Such a pity….
    Many Thanks
    Sarah B

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *